Roosevelt University Logo

Information about US Student Visas

Once you have been accepted on a program and paid your deposit,  Roosevelt University will issue an I-20 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can then apply for a visa to study in the US.

Roosevelt University is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Your I-20 document is issued by the University and is valid for the entire duration of your studies.

Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate in your country to find out what the procedure is for applying for a student visa. You may need an appointment, or walk-in hours may be available.

The following information is adapted from the US Department of State:

1. What is a Visa?

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a US port-of entry and request permission from the US immigration officer to enter the United States. It does not guarantee entry into the US.

2. What Type of Visa do I need to Become an Academic Student in the United States?

Most non-US citizens who wish to study in the United States will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the US. The F-1, or Student Visa is the most common for those who wish to engage in academic studies in the United States. It is for people who want to study at an accredited USA university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.

3. When Should I Apply for a Visa?

It is best to apply early for the visa to make sure that there is sufficient time for visa processing. We recommend that all students apply for their visa as soon as they have all the required documentation. Notify us directly once your visa status is known. Please tell your Student Enrollment Advisor when you have made an appointment, and notify them of the outcome of that appointment.

4. How Do I Apply for a Visa in my Country?

In order to apply for a visa at a US embassy or consulate in your country, you must first have an I-20 document issued by Roosevelt University. You will be required to submit the I-20 when you apply for a visa. 

Roosevelt University will provide you with the appropriate SEVIS-generated form only when you have been academically admitted to the International Study Center, and your deposit payment has been received.

You then need to make an appointment for your visa interview.

Most of the procedures and requirements for applying for a student visa are standardized but some vary from country to country. For example, how to pay the visa application processing fee and how to make an appointment for an interview. Visit the website of the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply to learn more.

6. Preparing for the Visa Interview

Prior to meeting with US Embassy officials you will need to pay a $100 SEVIS fee to the US government, and a visa processing fee (the procedure will differ from one US Embassy/Consulate to another). You should also make sure you have all the documentation you will need when you go for the interview:

  • your passport
  • the visa-qualifying document (I-20)
  • documentation of your financial ability to support yourself*
  • proof that you have ties to your home country
  • proof of payment of the SEVIS and visa fees
  • a completed visa application form (follow Department of State procedures carefully to ensure you complete it correctly)

* A bank statement or bank letter verifying your or your sponsor's financial ability to cover your expenses should be provided. The bank statement cannot be a copy; it must be original (per immigration law). The bank statement must be notarized and no older than six months. We advise you to have an original letter (affidavit of support) from your parents/guardian, financial sponsor or other source of support claiming financial responsibility for you as a student. This affidavit must be notarized.

If you are self-sponsored, no affidavit is required. In the case of government-sponsored students, the Financial Guarantee serves as both the bank statement and the affidavit.

7. Key Information about Visas and Entering the United States

The US Embassy/Consulate cannot issue an F-1 more than 120 days before the actual start of the academic program in the United States. However, visa applicants are encouraged to apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so. Thus, if the university to which you have been admitted states on the I-20 that the program will start on September 1, a visa cannot be issued before May 1.

Even if you have been issued a visa to enter the United States, you will not be allowed to enter the country more than 30 days before the start of your program, if you are an initial entry student. Returning students do not have this requirement. Using the earlier example, if the program of study starts on September 1, you will not be permitted to enter the United States until August 1 or later.

8. What to Do when You Arrive at University in the US

Once you arrive on campus, the International Study Center will help you with any questions or concerns you may have about immigration rules and regulations. Roosevelt University International Student Services must report your arrival within the SEVIS system. If this report is not submitted, you may be considered to be in violation of your status in the United States. During international student orientation, you will be given information about maintaining your visa status.


An I-20 document is required to start the process of obtaining a student visa to enter the United States.

Once accepted at a university, a student is provided with an I-20 from that University, issued on behalf of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

More about US visas


SEVIS is the abbreviation for 'Student and Exchange Visitor Information System'.

SEVIS is an internet-based US Government system that maintains data on foreign students and exchange visitors before and during their stay in the United States.

In order to enroll students from other countries, US colleges and universities must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Roosevelt University has received this approval.